Thursday, June 16, 2011

Loren Eiseley 1907-1977


Bronze relief, 14 x 16.5 x 2"


Thought unfolds
through the myriad forms--
a surfeit of love,
created.


Bronze relief, details






Loren Eiseley is my favorite writer. The first time I read about him was in ZYGON: The Journal of Religion and Science. Eiseley was considered by many to be a religious scientist. He wrote extensively about evolution, his first book THE IMMENSE JOURNEY. My favorite collection of his essays is THE STAR THROWER.

Eiseley also wrote poetry about the natural world--NOTES OF AN ALCHEMIST, ANOTHER KIND OF AUTUMN, THE INNOCENT ASSASSINS and ALL THE NIGHT WINGS. I wrote several poems about Eiseley as I was rereading all of his essays recently. The bronze relief was done to go with one of the poems.

If you look in the negative space between the sunflowers and Flodman's thistle, you will see a fox. The fox was a personal symbol for Eiseley.

No comments:

Post a Comment